Saturday 25 July 2009

Happy Second Birthday Galaxy Zoo!


Tomorrow it will be two years ago that I logged onto Galaxy Zoo as usual - and found that the long-awaited forum was up and running! Within 10 minutes or so, I got a message asking me to moderate. It was the beginning of the best thing I have ever done.

We missed the 2nd birthday of Galaxy Zoo itself. Liz had asked me if we were celebrating that, but I think we all just forgot. So we made up for it by having a lovely birthday bash today. This Object of the Day was put together by the efforts of several, with the running commentary of several more! Thank you so much to Jules, Caro, Half65, and perhaps most of all EdV who made my favourite part, this video.


(Brian May is not only enough of a genius to write a song about space travel and relativity, but also might well be largely to blame for me getting back into astronomy after leaving university! My "zooified" lyrics to the song are here.)

It was Aida's idea to include the Newbies thread - if you're new to the zoo, please click on all the rainbow text (in the thread - not here). Most of it is links to threads I hope you'll find helpful.

I am already really moved to see so many great birthday messages from people at the zoo. May we continue for many, many more years!

No comments: